PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

M-Soccer: SMU vs. CSU-Bakersfield

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

M-Soccer: SMU vs. CSU-Bakersfield

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Sep 18, 2012 10:06 pm

Don't forget there is a Thursday night game this week - SMU against Cal State-Bakersfield at Westcott with a 7pm start time.

It's the final non-conference game before C-USA play starts next week so it's a big one for the Mustangs.

Go Ponies!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: M-Soccer: SMU vs. CSU-Bakersfield

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:24 pm

1-1 final.

SMU scored on a first half PK (Morales). CSU-Bakersfield got the equalizer late after going down a man. Jaime Ibarra saved a PK in the second OT.

South Carolina to start C-USA play on Monday at Westcott.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby well travelled pony » Fri Sep 21, 2012 3:11 am

We are gonna have trouble if we can't beat the likes of csu bakersfield. Sheesh. Let's go!

Go Ponies! !
well travelled pony
All-American

Postby redpony » Sat Sep 22, 2012 9:28 am

DFFH- do you think there is any hope that our new AD might get a new men's coach if we continue to flounder like we have been since SH left??
redpony

Postby PonyPride » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:43 am

For what it's worth, the team is being re-built a little this year, after two guys who were expected to be starters and major contributors transferred and another (Juan Castillo) underwent ankle surgery. Castillo got his first (limited) minutes of the season against CSU-Bakersfield. This team is talented, but extremely young — in one game earlier this year, 10 of the 11 starters were either freshmen or sophomores, so there will be a learning curve for this year's team.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby redpony » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:50 am

pp- with all due respect I have heard the 'rebuilding', inexperienced, new system etc. etc. excuses for a number of years. The results speak for themselves. SO sunk this program when he ran off SH and then hired a coach who was not equal to or better than SH. At one time this program had a reputation as one of the top programs in the country. Now we are lucky if we even win a lowly conference like cusa.
The BE teams will probably eat us alive next year. JMHO
redpony

Postby WildHorse » Sat Sep 22, 2012 12:35 pm

We went 1-1-1 last year against teams that will be in the Big East next year, including a 1-0 loss (on a neutral field) against Connecticut, which was ranked #3 in the country at the time. There won't be any easy games in a league that stacked, but I'd say it's a stretch to suggest we'll be "eaten alive." I might be wrong, of course, but I hope not.

Besides, several of the young players look really good. Ibarra looks very solid in goal. All of those young guys on the defense look solid, and 14 (Simmons) looks like more of captain/general back there. King looks as good as advertised, maybe better considering his knee injury last year, and I like the little guys, Lee and Luhanno. The skinny freshman forward who scored the game winner in the SMU tournament last week looks very skilled, but hasn't played enough to form a strong opinion yet.

It's hard to say what any of these will become, but there's a lot of promise there, and they're doing a good job of putting together some good games. I missed the last home game, but they already look a lot better than they did at the start of the season.
Go PONIES!
WildHorse
All-American

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:38 pm

redpony wrote:DFFH- do you think there is any hope that our new AD might get a new men's coach if we continue to flounder like we have been since SH left??

First off, I know redpony's position and fully respect and understand where he is coming from.

To be fair to TIm though, we can't just discount the fact SMU was PKs away from the College Cup in 2010 and the team was playing great at the end of last season before drawing an underseeded Akron. I'm not saying we were College Cup bound last year or anything but we were good enough to deserve a 3rd round NCAA game.

As PP pointed out, the team is extremely young right now. I wouldn't say that is an excuse, but it is a fact. The keeping and defense has been great this year. The ball possession and movement in the midfield has also been very good. We are just lacking scoring. If things click up top, we will be fine in C-USA. If it doesn't, it will probably be a long fall.

Obviously, having Zach and Robbie and a healthy Juan would probably make a HUGE difference this year considering the main thing contributing to the poor record is an inability to score. Tim certainly can't do anything about Juan's injury. Of course, Tim also brought in Andrew Morales this year and he has been great.

Does Tim bear some responsibility for Robbie and Zach leaving? Who knows?

I have no idea what went on with Zach. I think Robbie thinks he is a lot better than he is. He didn't appear to be happy with his role here, so he transferred to Akron and guess what - he's a part-time player. Plus, now Caleb Porter is leaving, so maybe Robbie will find another school next year where he can grace them with his presence.

Zach stepped right in at Creighton and is a full-time starter on a top ten team.

Of course, we can debate the coaches all we want, but it probably comes down to his contract. SMU is in no place to be buying out soccer coaches (see Brent Erwin), so they probably won't make a move until his deal is up. I have no idea when that is and it's really none of my business.

If and when SMU does make a move on the men's side, it will be interesting to see what Hart does. The commitment shown to the women's side to bring in not only Chris but also Nicole was big. That all happened before Hart was here though. Maybe he approved it but even if he was involved he probably could never say it.

I would like to think SMU will continue treating the soccer programs as the top non-revenue sports on campus like they showed with the staff on the women's side - which is what they deserve.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Return to Other Sports