PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

W-Soccer: SMU at Rice

Soccer, swimming, tennis, track and field - anything not covered above gets discussed here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

W-Soccer: SMU at Rice

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sat Sep 22, 2012 5:49 pm

The SMU women are right back at it Sunday afternoon against Rice in Houston. The game starts at 1pm.

There is no need to go through the recent history of SMU vs. Rice. They have certainly been a thorn in our side lately.

Rice is 4-4-2, but haven't played a very tough schedule this season so far. They did beat Tulsa 1-0 Friday night.

They don't give up a lot of goals though, so it will be a big test for the Mustangs to try to get the scoring back on track.

I would like to think we will continue to play Rice in non-conference, but just in case this is the last time we play them, I hope we end it on a high note.

Go Ponies!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Re: W-Soccer: SMU at Rice

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:49 pm

2-2 HT!

Redman and Scovill for SMU.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 2:52 pm

3-2 Rice final.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby Junior » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:37 pm

man, W's are hard to come by in any sport at SMU these days.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Sun Sep 23, 2012 9:12 pm

Junior wrote:man, W's are hard to come by in any sport at SMU these days.

No joke! :)

Rice has two fast freshman forwards and they just ran them at our back line all day long. We played really well today, but Rice got five good chances and buried three of them...

It's definitely a rough start to the conference season. We outplayed Houston and were definitely better than Rice for long stretches of the game today but come home with only one point. There are definitely a lot of good things to come with this team though.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby RealSMUfan » Sun Sep 23, 2012 11:12 pm

I was at the game and I have to say the offense did well...scored two goals! But our defense must play better! 3 mistakes cost 3 goals! You would think if you score 2 goals, you should get the win. I believe they are beginning to feel the absence of Cox and Eidson!
RealSMUfan
Recruit

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:34 pm

The first official women's RPI came out this week. SMU is sitting at 62 (we were unofficially pushing the top 50 before the weekend...)

Here is the RPI for the C-USA teams:

15. UCF
37. Memphis
42. Colorado College
62. SMU
71. East Carolina
98. Rice
119. Tulsa
125. Houston
151. Marshall
177. Southern Miss
193. UAB
216. UTEP

We are obviously in a bit of a hole in points right now in C-USA, but the team is strong enough to climb back into the race over the next couple of weeks. With only four home conference games this season, getting wins at home next weekend against UTEP and CC will be imperative.

The big item of interest in the C-USA notes this week is Courtney Smith is 5th in the country in assists per game with 0.70! I would say hopefully she will keep it up but if she keeps sending crosses in like she has been there shouldn't be any problem with that!
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Return to Other Sports