PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Burger wars, re-visited

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Burger wars, re-visited

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:24 pm

Appreciate it. Hoping to pawn the lifting off on the deliveree and take the boys to see the slick Willy bookmobile
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby mrydel » Sat Feb 02, 2013 9:14 am

I was not going to help lift. I am a manager. Enjoy the Rock. Hopefully the triple wide will not roll off into the river while you are there.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby PonyFan » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:00 pm

I watched the Super Bowl at Barley House. Burger was so good I had 2 of them (about 4 hours apart).
"What kind of weirdo school are they running over there in Fort Worth?"
- Randy Galloway
ESPN Radio (103.3 FM)
PonyFan
Heisman

Postby Junior » Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:22 pm

PonyFan wrote:I watched the Super Bowl at Barley House. Burger was so good I had 2 of them (about 4 hours apart).

i had one there before the bball game saturday. i was surprised as well. i liked the two thin patties.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby SMUguy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:14 pm

I drove through Uptown for the first time in forever yesterday, and saw that Uptown Bar and Grill has closed!

When did this happen? Anyone know if it will reopen elsewhere? This is a sad day in the world of burgers. That place was sensational.
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby PonySnob » Tue Mar 05, 2013 12:28 pm

SMUguy wrote:I drove through Uptown for the first time in forever yesterday, and saw that Uptown Bar and Grill has closed!

When did this happen? Anyone know if it will reopen elsewhere? This is a sad day in the world of burgers. That place was sensational.

Going to reopen this spring as "Nickel and Rye" which is a gastro pub. It had been bought by Ed Bailey of the now closed Baileys steakhouse and was going to become an upscale sandwich shop and then it sold to Kirby's which must be trying a new concept for them.
Peruna is my mascot!
PonySnob

Postby couch 'em » Tue Mar 05, 2013 1:47 pm

Snuffers in chapter 11
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby ponyboy » Tue Mar 05, 2013 4:57 pm

Oh man, if they go out of business I am going to be very, very upset.
ponyboy

Postby Ikus » Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:39 am

PonySnob wrote:Going to reopen this spring as "Nickel and Rye" which is a gastro pub. It had been bought by Ed Bailey of the now closed Baileys steakhouse and was going to become an upscale sandwich shop and then it sold to Kirby's which must be trying a new concept for them.

In other words, the Uptown B+G burger is a thing of the past.
That sucks.
Ikus
Heisman

Postby DanFreibergerForHeisman » Wed Mar 06, 2013 9:12 pm

ponyboy wrote:Had smashburger over on mcKinney. Not bad for fast food. Not bad.

Got a coupon in the mail today - see they have one in Mockingbird Station as well.

I figure it's worth a try for a "fast" burger some night.
Shake It Off Moody
DanFreibergerForHeisman

Postby GiddyUp » Thu Mar 07, 2013 8:53 pm

DallasDiehard wrote:A friend recommended Hopdaddy Burger Bar in Preston Center, so we tried it last night.

When you walk in, you stand in line for a while (quite a while on a Friday night) in order to place your order, and once you get through the line, you're not allowed to pick your own table -- they choose for you. The menu looked promising, with a lot of "specialty" burgers, but it turned out to be more sizzle than substance. The burger ($10?) was smaller than I thought it would be, and despite all of the claims about fresh ingredients, organic beef, etc., the burger itself was surprisingly bland. The fries were pretty good, with a little garlic on them, but not enough to make up for the sub-par burger. If you're there and craving a burger, it's OK, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.

Well, I went tonight and I thought the burger was excellent. Fries were great too. I certainly would not go on a weekend night at all and try to get there early. Very good beers on tap (all Texas drafts). Burgers were from $6-8 bucks. I would have to disagree, perhaps it depends on which burger you get. The buns were outstanding, home made. Didn't try the shakes but they look great too. I think there is a reason there is a line all the time.
GiddyUp

Postby Pony4Life » Fri Mar 08, 2013 6:58 pm

East Hampton Sandwich Company in Snider Plaza makes an outstanding burger. Everything I have had there is terrific. Everything is a little unusual, with some stray ingredient or topping you might not expect (I had them hold the avocado), but it's a really good place. The bun had a strong (good) flavor, and the burger itself was very juicy. A little pricier than I expected (I think my burger was $9), but it was a really pleasant surprise.
Fountain of youth
Giver of truth
Six parts gin
One part vermouth
Pony4Life
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Mar 08, 2013 7:22 pm

Pony4Life wrote:East Hampton Sandwich Company in Snider Plaza makes an outstanding burger. Everything I have had there is terrific. Everything is a little unusual, with some stray ingredient or topping you might not expect (I had them hold the avocado), but it's a really good place. The bun had a strong (good) flavor, and the burger itself was very juicy. A little pricier than I expected (I think my burger was $9), but it was a really pleasant surprise.

Been meaning to get there to try the lobster roll
RGV Pony

Postby mrydel » Sat Mar 09, 2013 9:04 pm

Went back to David's Burgers tonight. Got the double meat (for a dollar more than the single) and it was excellent. Great atmosphere. About 20 young highly school kids wearing tshirts that say "Pleased to meet you and Meat to please you." Best burger I have had outside of what mrsmrydel makes.

And the fries are super.

Anyone passing through Little Rock needs to try one.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby White Helmet » Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:00 pm

I miss Joe Willy's on Greenville. That is all.
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop