PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Burger wars, re-visited

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Burger wars, re-visited

Postby RGV Pony » Tue Dec 04, 2012 6:14 pm

That would be the new location of the iconic Mecca formerly on Harry Hines of huge cinnamon rolls and good biscuit and gravy fame
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby PonyPride » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:47 pm

Oh, OK -- didn't know about the old location ... And yes, the cinnamon roll is ridiculously huge.
PonyFans.com ... is really the premier place for Mustang talk on the Web.
New York Times

https://www.facebook.com/PonyFanscom/

twitter.com/PonyFans

https://www.instagram.com/ponyfans_staff/
PonyPride

Postby couch 'em » Tue Dec 04, 2012 10:04 pm

RGV Pony wrote:That would be the new location of the iconic Mecca formerly on Harry Hines of huge cinnamon rolls and good biscuit and gravy fame

Thy finally moved from the dilapidated shack? How will I get meth and a hooker with my meal?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby Junior » Wed Dec 05, 2012 1:18 pm

couch 'em wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:That would be the new location of the iconic Mecca formerly on Harry Hines of huge cinnamon rolls and good biscuit and gravy fame

Thy finally moved from the dilapidated shack? How will I get meth and a hooker with my meal?

shoot me a pm
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby friarwolf » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:19 pm

Hopdoddy's in Preston Center is pretty tasty. I like it better than Liberty burgers, wife prefers Liberty burgers.........
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:01 pm

Had smashburger over on mcKinney. Not bad for fast food. Not bad.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby Bergermeister » Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:14 pm

couch 'em wrote:
RGV Pony wrote: How will I get meth and a hooker with my meal?

The Mecca went south FAST when it changed hands several years ago. It would have taken several moving vans to have moved all the freakin' roaches from Harry Hines to Lakewood. In one visit, I had one on my shoe, one sitting on the table staring at me, and one crawling on the photo next to my table. Talk about waitresses who were perpetually f'd up... they all had parenthesis-face. Although I would never eat there again, I heard the "new" one in Lakewood was really awful. Too bad, the "original" from back-in-the-day was good - and that's what established The Mecca "legend".
Bergermeister

Postby DallasDiehard » Sat Dec 22, 2012 12:56 pm

A friend recommended Hopdaddy Burger Bar in Preston Center, so we tried it last night.

When you walk in, you stand in line for a while (quite a while on a Friday night) in order to place your order, and once you get through the line, you're not allowed to pick your own table -- they choose for you. The menu looked promising, with a lot of "specialty" burgers, but it turned out to be more sizzle than substance. The burger ($10?) was smaller than I thought it would be, and despite all of the claims about fresh ingredients, organic beef, etc., the burger itself was surprisingly bland. The fries were pretty good, with a little garlic on them, but not enough to make up for the sub-par burger. If you're there and craving a burger, it's OK, but I wouldn't go out of my way to go there.
Rise up, Mustang Nation!
Go SMU!
DallasDiehard
Heisman

Postby b_caesar » Fri Jan 25, 2013 1:51 pm

Not sure if this qualifies, but on various days of the week there is a food truck on the quad called Easy Sliders - for $10 you get any two sliders on the menu and chips and drink. For $3 more you can get a third slider. The three that I've found that are really good are the Roadside, French Revolution and the Black and Blue. While it is a little on the pricey side, if you're on campus at lunch time, usually on a Thursday (but they have been there on other weekdays too) it is certainly a viable alternative...here's a link to their site:

http://www.easyslidertruck.com/
Don't worry. Be Happy. Or not.
b_caesar
Heisman

Postby SMUer » Sat Jan 26, 2013 10:13 am

Nosh on Oaklawn.
SMUer

Postby mrydel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 7:15 pm

Went to David's Burgers in North Little Rock tonight. Central Arkansas establishment evidently. Conway, Little Rock and NLR. Excellent burger. Best burger I have had eating out in at least 20 years and I do not remember anything before then. You guys may have a lot better in Dallas but it has been slim pickings here until tonight.

Loved walking in and sitting down and in lieu of chips like a Mexican restaurant, they said to lay down a few napkins and the waitress carrying a big tin bowl put a couple of tong fulls of fries down. Pretty good fries but the burger was great.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:42 pm

Where's it at?
RGV Pony

Postby mrydel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:00 pm

In NLR it is at McCain and 67/167 near the Hooters. In LR at Markham and Bowman.
mrydel

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Feb 01, 2013 9:47 pm

I'll look out for it tomorrow. Had planned on being at the Houston game w my boys tomorrow, but a change in plans necessitates our doing a guys road trip to the 501. Would be more fun if it wasn't in a uhaul.
RGV Pony

Postby mrydel » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:00 pm

RGV Pony wrote:I'll look out for it tomorrow. Had planned on being at the Houston game w my boys tomorrow, but a change in plans necessitates our doing a guys road trip to the 501. Would be more fun if it wasn't in a uhaul.

Speaking at a home buyer class tomorrow morning but I am available in the afternoon if you need help.
mrydel

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop