PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Burger wars, re-visited

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Burger wars, re-visited

Postby ponyboy » Tue Dec 17, 2013 11:04 am

No it's not. Vegan is only slightly better than the standard American diet. Slightly. Vegan/vegetarian was invented very, very recently and is fundamentally incompatible with human nutritional needs. The paleo diet is the natural human diet that we evolved with over the last couple of million years.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/satu ... thic-diet/
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby couch 'em » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:24 pm

"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby SMU2007 » Tue Dec 17, 2013 1:33 pm

Paleo diet is idiotic. Just how long do you think cavemen used to live? Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's better.
SMU2007

Postby mrydel » Tue Dec 17, 2013 6:14 pm

SMU2007 wrote:Paleo diet is idiotic. Just how long do you think cavemen used to live? Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's better.

I think once again I have been insulted.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby SMU2007 » Wed Dec 18, 2013 9:19 am

Lol mrydel
SMU2007

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 11:40 am

SMU2007 wrote:Paleo diet is idiotic. Just how long do you think cavemen used to live? Just because it's old, doesn't mean it's better.

1) Pre-neolithic man lived in much harsher conditions than we do. Imagine camping out your entire life and having to hunt every meal, often against game that had horns and teeth and claws.

2) The figures given for life expectancy do not take into account that if you survived wars, hunting, and accidents (factors having nothing to do with diet) -- humans actually lived to very ripe old ages. They didn't originally think this was the case because the skeletons of paleo "seniors" appeared to be much younger than they actually were due to a very surprising lack markers for what are called the "diseases of civilization."

Let's put all of this in perspective by using the football field at Ford Stadium to represent the whole of human experience on this earth. If you go from one endzone on the Doak Walker side and walk towards the opposite end zone near Mockingbird, going from the beginnings of humanity at the zero yard line on the north, at what yard line would the neolithic start (i.e. when agriculture was introduced)?

Answer: The final half hard before you get to the Mockingbird goal line! You have to walk 99.5 yards of that football field/human timeline to get to the introduction of agriculture. (Some cultures didn't abandon the neolithic until much later than that. 2000 years ago in northern Europe -- 150 years ago if you happen to be a native American).

Still think paleo is stupid? We ARE cavemen by constitution.
ponyboy

Postby couch 'em » Wed Dec 18, 2013 12:21 pm

Yes, it is still stupid because the premise is flawed for all the reasons discussed in the video I posted and more.

That said it is not unhealthy. They should just call it the "eat lots if veggies, avoid sugar (grains) and processed foods" diet.
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:34 pm

Do you disagree with this premise?

We ought to eat the types and classes of foods we evolved to eat over millenia.

What is stupid about that? It seems rather obvious. You don't feed lions bananas. You don't feed parakeets pork and beans. You don't feed seals ding dongs. You feed them what they evolved to eat.

The archeological record is fairly clear as to what those types and classes of foods are. Agriculture is very, very, very recent and very little adaptation has occurred to allow us to consume its fruits without ensuing health problems.
Last edited by ponyboy on Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ponyboy

Postby couch 'em » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:43 pm

The premise is that what paleo describes is an accurate representation of a typical paleolithic diet when actual anthropologists will tell you it isnt accurate. The diets varied widely, and all the meat, fruits, and veggies we have available today are not very similar to the wild ancestors that were available. Watch the video.
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 18, 2013 1:46 pm

I will watch the video. Thank you.

Yes, diets varied widely. And yes the meats, fruits, and veggies differed. But it's not at all difficult to reproduce a fairly faithful paleo diet today. Grass fed beef or lamb, wild game, wild fish. Sufficient healthy fats. High fiber fruits, not the bloated, carb laden, high glycemic crap that we have available today. Greens.

I've been doing exactly that since 1999.

Where is our disagreement?
ponyboy

Postby couch 'em » Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:44 pm

The name and marketing primarily. It is pseudo science. The diet is healthy regardless
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby ponyboy » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:50 pm

I cracked up the other day when I saw "paleo bread" at the health food store. Um, what?
ponyboy

Postby 2ndandlong » Thu Dec 19, 2013 3:17 pm

So hamburgers, huh
"This is . . . dedication to distraction by fans. Is that what I'm going to go with Jay?"
"That poor kid has to be wondering what is dad doing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XknLDwj0dSo
2ndandlong
Hall of Famer

Postby SMUguy » Fri Dec 20, 2013 11:14 pm

Thanks for the reminder that I haven't had a good burger in a while. With the in-laws coming Sunday, it looks like tomorrow is the last time to head out for a burger and a beer for a while. A co-worker has been swearing by the black angus burger at Houlihan's. Has anyone here ever had it?
"It's 106 miles to Chicago, we've got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses."
"Hit it."
SMUguy
Heisman

Postby lwjr » Sun Dec 22, 2013 8:52 pm

ponyboy wrote:No it's not. Vegan is only slightly better than the standard American diet. Slightly. Vegan/vegetarian was invented very, very recently and is fundamentally incompatible with human nutritional needs. The paleo diet is the natural human diet that we evolved with over the last couple of million years.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/satu ... thic-diet/

I'm just grateful food has evolved since the caveman days! :lol:
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop