PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Burger wars, re-visited

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Burger wars, re-visited

Postby White Helmet » Sun Dec 22, 2013 9:38 pm

Also if going pales shouldn't all your food never be refrigerated or cooked
On metal/ceramic pans/grills?
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby ponyboy » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:29 pm

lwjr wrote:
ponyboy wrote:No it's not. Vegan is only slightly better than the standard American diet. Slightly. Vegan/vegetarian was invented very, very recently and is fundamentally incompatible with human nutritional needs. The paleo diet is the natural human diet that we evolved with over the last couple of million years.

http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/satu ... thic-diet/

I'm just grateful food has evolved since the caveman days! :lol:

I'll suffer with a steak and red wine. You can have the baked potato.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby SMU2007 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 7:59 am

ponyboy wrote:Do you disagree with this premise?

We ought to eat the types and classes of foods we evolved to eat over millenia.

What is stupid about that? It seems rather obvious. You don't feed lions bananas. You don't feed parakeets pork and beans. You don't feed seals ding dongs. You feed them what they evolved to eat.

The archeological record is fairly clear as to what those types and classes of foods are. Agriculture is very, very, very recent and very little adaptation has occurred to allow us to consume its fruits without ensuing health problems.

Your Pomeranian evolved from a wild dog or wolf over thousands of years. Therefore, you could leave her in the backyard to hunt for food and shelter, and she should be perfectly fine. Right?
SMU2007

Postby ponyboy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 8:26 am

Golden retriever. But, yes, she'd be healthier eating meat only. As a matter of fact, that's the exact diet she's on. She's lean with bright eyes and a shiny coat at age 8. No sign of the standard degenerative diseases that plague the standard pet these days.
ponyboy

Postby BigT3x » Tue Dec 24, 2013 12:20 pm

ponyboy wrote:Golden retriever. But, yes, she'd be healthier eating meat only. As a matter of fact, that's the exact diet she's on. She's lean with bright eyes and a shiny coat at age 8. No sign of the standard degenerative diseases that plague the standard pet these days.

Hooray for anecdotes!

Paleo diet is for idiots. The reason why humans are the dominant species on Earth is adaptability. Our bodies evolved to digest a very wide range of food. Locking in what humans ate during some arbitrarily chosen part of our history is both pointless and ignores what our bodies are really capable of.
BigT3x
All-American

Postby SMU2007 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 1:50 pm

Couldn't agree more.

PS ponyboy, I'd be willing to bet your dog's health has more to do with the cash you plopped down for a well bred dog.
SMU2007

Postby couch 'em » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:32 pm

Plus anyone who goes to the level of a special dog diet is probably in the top 5% in terms of dog maintenance
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby ponyboy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 3:58 pm

I'm sorry this apparently touches an emotional chord. Believe what you want to believe. But there is an ever increasing body of peer reviewed research out there that show the value of excluding new foods from the human diet, of concentrating on the types and classes of foods consumed by man over the hundreds of thousands of years we've been on this earth. Agriculture is very new to the human experience. You're probably right in that perhaps some adaptation has occurred with select populations that allow them to eat grains, dairy, legumes and such. (See middle easterners where farming was invented). But not nearly as much adaptation has occurred as you might imagine. Take one look at the current health of previously nomadic, hunter gatherer native Americans -- who adopted white man's food within the last couple hundred years -- and you'll see the process in grotesque high speed fashion. The fact is we are all better mimicking the types and classes of foods from our hunter gatherer past.

Here's a pretty good review of studies that examine your objections: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/11817904/
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
Tell the World I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby ponyboy » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:25 pm

I’m coming home
I’m coming home
ponyboy

Postby SMU2007 » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:34 pm

Not an emotional chord, I am just amused by these fad diets and the reasoning behind them.

I'm sure it's a nice, healthy diet, but there's no way you can convince me that it is any better than any other well balanced diet with a proper assortment of meats, fruits and vegetables.

I am also a firm believer in genetics.
SMU2007

Postby ponyboy » Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:18 pm

Fad? Two million years of hunter gatherer experience ain't a fad.

http://www.timemaps.com/hunter-gatherer

Apologies to everyone else for the thread derail.
I’m coming home
I’m coming home
ponyboy

Burger wars, re-visited

Postby SMU2007 » Thu Dec 26, 2013 8:50 am

If the paleo diet is around/popular in 5 years, I'll concede that is not a fad diet. Like the dozens of other diets that have been popular in the past couple decades, this will fall out of favor just like Atkins, sugar busters, California beach diet and plenty of others that you rarely hear about anymore.

Ha back to burger talk everyone. I just enjoy a good argument with ponyboy and nice to have something besides june to argue about. Carry on.
SMU2007

Postby mrydel » Thu Dec 26, 2013 6:02 pm

I have eaten nothing but ham and turkey for a week. I am ready for some good red meat. Think a trip to Davids Burger is in order this weekend.
All those who believe in psycho kinesis, raise my hand
mrydel

Postby couch 'em » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:28 am

Does anyone offer a literal 'ham' burger of any quality?
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby BigT3x » Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:48 am

couch 'em wrote:Does anyone offer a literal 'ham' burger of any quality?

Burguesa Burger's monumental has a ham slice. It's one of the most gratuitous burgers I've ever had. It's probably illegal in Bloomberg's NYC. Incredibly tasty.
BigT3x
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop