PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mexican food wars

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: Mexican food wars

Postby ponyboy » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:38 pm

skyscraper wrote:Bandito's is overrated and definitely a UP/HP/SMU thing. No one outside the bubble goes there, IMO.

Man, I don't know. They've got items like the Lone Star Plate that's your standard greasy spoon fare and then you can bling it up with stuff that looks like it comes out of the Mi Cocina menu. It's got a local, authentic feeling to it. Great tv's with sports on. Funky outside seating. And, best of all, there's always Willie, Robert Earl Keen, and Jerry Jeff blaring from the sound system. That alone is worth my devotion.
ponyboy
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Mexican food wars

Postby 2ndandlong » Thu Mar 10, 2011 3:45 pm

ponyboy wrote:
skyscraper wrote:Bandito's is overrated and definitely a UP/HP/SMU thing. No one outside the bubble goes there, IMO.

Man, I don't know. They've got items like the Lone Star Plate that's your standard greasy spoon fare and then you can bling it up with stuff that looks like it comes out of the Mi Cocina menu. It's got a local, authentic feeling to it. Great tv's with sports on. Funky outside seating. And, best of all, there's always Willie, Robert Earl Keen, and Jerry Jeff blaring from the sound system. That alone is worth my devotion.

I agree. It's a great atmosphere.
"This is . . . dedication to distraction by fans. Is that what I'm going to go with Jay?"
"That poor kid has to be wondering what is dad doing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XknLDwj0dSo
2ndandlong
Hall of Famer

Postby Bergermeister » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:51 pm

I agree, it's a terrific atmosphere and the service is top-notch. I just have not found the menu item that I can hang my hat on. I'll keep working my way through the choices, though. Anybody had the chicken fajitas?
Bergermeister

Postby MustangFan » Sat Mar 12, 2011 1:00 pm

Yes. The chicken fajitas are pretty damn good. Don't like the music they play, but otherwise the atmosphere and service are exceptional.
MustangFan
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:20 pm

Don't like the music?! You from New Jersey?

Berger, try the Lone Star Plate if you want standard Tex Mex and the Salmon Diablo if you wanna go upscale.
ponyboy

Postby MustangFan » Sun Mar 13, 2011 10:39 pm

ponyboy wrote:Don't like the music?! You from New Jersey?

Nope. Born and raised in a little burg called Dallas, Texas. Perhaps you have heard of it? :)
Don't get me wrong. Willie has had his moments, but REK and JJW are pretty cliché and basically awful. But the food is good, anyway!
MustangFan
All-American

Postby ponyboy » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:11 pm

We have nothing left to discuss.
ponyboy

Postby White Helmet » Mon Mar 14, 2011 2:28 pm

couch 'em wrote:I know Fort Worthless is usually out of the scope of these lists, but I really like La Familia out that way.

Anyone tried the whole in the wall out that way that claims Roosevelt ate there?

THe one close to Rahr Brewery?
White Helmet
Hall of Famer

Postby couch 'em » Mon Mar 14, 2011 4:38 pm

White Helmet wrote:
couch 'em wrote:I know Fort Worthless is usually out of the scope of these lists, but I really like La Familia out that way.

Anyone tried the whole in the wall out that way that claims Roosevelt ate there?

THe one close to Rahr Brewery?

Ummm, no, not the Jesus Restaurant. That one will be listed under "Colon Clense Wars"
"I think Couchem is right."
-EVERYONE
couch 'em

Postby RednBlue11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:01 am

I love Rusty Taco
"There ain't nothing you can't solve with one more beer"
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby lwjr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:43 am

ponyboy wrote:

Can I get an AMEN from the congregation on that one?!
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby lwjr » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:47 am

Junior wrote:Herrerra's is good. Salsa is usually spicy, which is good. Ate at a great hole in the wall place in Austin last weekend. Polvo's. Definitely would head back again.

Junior,
Where in Austin is Polvo's located? Usually down that way in the summer and early fall.
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby RednBlue11 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 9:52 am

lwjr wrote:
ponyboy wrote:

Can I get an AMEN from the congregation on that one?!

"There ain't nothing you can't solve with one more beer"
RednBlue11
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Waldorf » Wed Mar 23, 2011 10:00 am

TACO TOWN!
If you live a long life,
It will be a testament to your friends' self control
Waldorf
Junior Varsity

Postby Dutch » Sun Mar 27, 2011 8:35 pm

Bergermeister wrote:I agree, it's a terrific atmosphere and the service is top-notch. I just have not found the menu item that I can hang my hat on. I'll keep working my way through the choices, though. Anybody had the chicken fajitas?

and a good bar for UP folks to grab a drink at on the way to an SMU basketball game w/o having to cross 75.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop