PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

Mexican food wars

General discussion: anything you want to talk about!

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Mexican food wars

Postby 2ndandlong » Wed Jul 20, 2011 5:30 pm

Junior wrote:
couch 'em wrote:
S....M....U wrote:not to hate too much on dallas tex-mex/mexican....but denver takes the cake in all things mexican. and you haven't lived until you've had a green chili smothered shredded beef burrito

Green chili is new Mexican garbage. If you aren't manly enough for texmex, just stick with soufflé and foie gras!

I had a former client in Albuquerque. I'm the first to admit that I'm not a huge fan of the green chile, but I had the best shredded beef burrito covered in red and green chile sauce at a place called La Salita. Highly recommend it if you're ever out there.

I went to La Salita and one other place when I worked out there. We traded between the two almost daily. Great food.
"This is . . . dedication to distraction by fans. Is that what I'm going to go with Jay?"
"That poor kid has to be wondering what is dad doing."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XknLDwj0dSo
2ndandlong
Hall of Famer

Re: Mexican food wars

Postby S....M....U » Wed Jul 20, 2011 6:42 pm

friarwolf wrote:Unfortunately, tex-mex in Dallas has been blanded out in the past 20 years. Too many mid-western transplants who don't like spicy food and "healthy food" trends which has eradicated the use of lard has made our tex-mex a shadow of itself. Gotta go to Houston (can't believe I am saying that) or San Antonio to find the good ole larded up enchiladas. There is one place in Ft Worth that still uses lard.

Oh, and Mexican food in Denver???? What a joke...............If you want great green chile mexican food, go to Chopey's in New Mexico just across the state line from El Paso............

yes...delicious mexican food in Denver. we are also across the state line from new mexico. and happen to have a very, very large hispanic population...in fact as large as dallas. and of course "new mexico" has the best "new mexican food."

ps im from the midwest. texan's destroyed tex mex, not us. we don't want anything to do with it. i love spicy food.
"An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame/SMU football game and doesn't care who wins" - Dwight David Eisenhower

Hail to the Red and the Blue.

S...........M............U

Moody Madness
S....M....U
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby RGV Pony » Wed Jul 20, 2011 7:16 pm

Where in Midwest ? Indy still has Don Pablos lol.
RGV Pony
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby friarwolf » Thu Jul 21, 2011 9:29 am

S....M....U wrote:
friarwolf wrote:Unfortunately, tex-mex in Dallas has been blanded out in the past 20 years. Too many mid-western transplants who don't like spicy food and "healthy food" trends which has eradicated the use of lard has made our tex-mex a shadow of itself. Gotta go to Houston (can't believe I am saying that) or San Antonio to find the good ole larded up enchiladas. There is one place in Ft Worth that still uses lard.

Oh, and Mexican food in Denver???? What a joke...............If you want great green chile mexican food, go to Chopey's in New Mexico just across the state line from El Paso............

yes...delicious mexican food in Denver. we are also across the state line from new mexico. and happen to have a very, very large hispanic population...in fact as large as dallas. and of course "new mexico" has the best "new mexican food."

ps im from the midwest. texan's destroyed tex mex, not us. we don't want anything to do with it. i love spicy food.

You are somewhat correct. We started mimicking the blanded out food from up your neck of the woods to satisfy the complaints that the food was too spicey.
friarwolf
Heisman

Postby S....M....U » Thu Jul 21, 2011 1:42 pm

good one. I'm from st louis RGV.
"An atheist is a guy who watches a Notre Dame/SMU football game and doesn't care who wins" - Dwight David Eisenhower

Hail to the Red and the Blue.

S...........M............U

Moody Madness
S....M....U
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Harry0569 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 6:56 pm

wow the midwest is terrible hahah
"smupony94: Harry, you have been promoted to purveyor of official status capabilities."
Harry0569

Postby lwjr » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:29 am

you have to go to the hole in the walls to find good tex me in Dallas
GO MUSTANGS!
lwjr

Postby smusportspage » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:23 pm

RGV Pony wrote:I'll think of all of you a week from tomorrow when I'm at Tomasita's in Santa Fe.

Oh Man, Tomasita's is one of my all time favorites. Haven't been there in years. The people I go to Santa Fe with always dictate that we go to The Shed to eat. It is o.k. but it is no Tomasitas.
smusportspage
Heisman

Re: Re: Mexican food wars

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Jul 22, 2011 1:57 pm

smusportspage wrote:
RGV Pony wrote:I'll think of all of you a week from tomorrow when I'm at Tomasita's in Santa Fe.

Oh Man, Tomasita's is one of my all time favorites. Haven't been there in years. The people I go to Santa Fe with always dictate that we go to The Shed to eat. It is o.k. but it is no Tomasitas.

Shed, La Choza, Marias all solid.

I buck the trend and prefer Berts Burger Bowl to Bobcat Bite.
RGV Pony

Postby smusportspage » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:32 pm

I haven't been to Bert's....where is it located? Could always count on Bobcat Bite for a solid burger. I don't know if they are still owned by the same people or not, but years ago the owner's would be known to close up shop when ever they felt like it....even if customer's were just arriving and the posted hours on the door said otherwise. Just something we put up with for some reason.
smusportspage
Heisman

Postby RGV Pony » Fri Jul 22, 2011 4:00 pm

smusportspage wrote:I haven't been to Bert's....where is it located? Could always count on Bobcat Bite for a solid burger. I don't know if they are still owned by the same people or not, but years ago the owner's would be known to close up shop when ever they felt like it....even if customer's were just arriving and the posted hours on the door said otherwise. Just something we put up with for some reason.

on Guadalupe off of Paseo de Peralta
RGV Pony

Postby StangCP » Fri Sep 30, 2011 10:43 am

lwjr wrote:
Junior wrote:Herrerra's is good. Salsa is usually spicy, which is good. Ate at a great hole in the wall place in Austin last weekend. Polvo's. Definitely would head back again.

Junior,
Where in Austin is Polvo's located? Usually down that way in the summer and early fall.

Polvo's is on South 1st street, maybe 2 miles south of town lake. Awesome spot.
StangCP
Varsity

Postby Junior » Fri Sep 30, 2011 2:17 pm

StangCP wrote:
lwjr wrote:
Junior wrote:Herrerra's is good. Salsa is usually spicy, which is good. Ate at a great hole in the wall place in Austin last weekend. Polvo's. Definitely would head back again.

Junior,
Where in Austin is Polvo's located? Usually down that way in the summer and early fall.

Polvo's is on South 1st street, maybe 2 miles south of town lake. Awesome spot.

Actually made it there a few months ago. Girlfriend is from Austin, and that's one if her favorite spots. It was really good.
Derail the Frogs!
Junior

Postby ponyboy » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:26 am

Had the classic El Fenix bean and cheese nachos last night.
ponyboy

Postby JesuitPony » Wed Oct 19, 2011 6:13 pm

Orlando finally has good Tex-Mex. An SMU alum and her husband opened Cocina 214 in Winter Park earlier this year. This was also the site of the first (and only) Orlando watch party this season.
JesuitPony
All-American

PreviousNext

Return to Around the Hilltop