PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

SMU vs Nebraska

Anything involving SMU basketball belongs here.

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

SMU vs Nebraska

Postby MustangMatt » Fri Dec 22, 2000 8:31 pm

SMU is winning by six points at half time against Nebraska in the San Juan Shootout Championship game!

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Re: SMU vs Nebraska

Postby MustangMatt » Fri Dec 22, 2000 9:29 pm

Sounds like both SMU and Nebraska were tired and the game was a little sloppy. SMU had a very slow and low scoring second half.

With less than a minute left, SMU was down by 4 and called a timeout. They came out of the timeout and turned the ball over. Then Willie hit two important free throws after Nebraska missed 4 from their line.

With 7 seconds left, SMU trailed 70-69 and called a time out. Nebraska was fouled with 5 seconds left and Nebraska hit two free throws to put Nebraska up by three. Damon Hancock then went to the line and scored his first and missed the second on purpose and Nebraska recovered. Final score, 72-70.

Damon was guarded very well and seemed fatigued. He fouled Nebraska late in the second half to set up a 4 point play and Nebraska eventually took the lead.

Willie did not score much but had 4-5 unconfirmed steals. He struggled offensively with the Nebraska big men due to the size disadvantage. He was 3-5 from the line.

Quinton had several key three pointers.

Look for news links soon on the home page for game reports.

------------------
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!
GO PONIES!
Please click on an ad when you get a chance. It is those advertisers that enable us to keep this site free!!!<BR>GO PONIES!
MustangMatt
Junior Varsity

Postby Bballer » Sat Dec 23, 2000 1:58 am

I listened to the game on the radio. It was not good. I think this loss really hurts us but it did not catch me by surprise and it is understandable. We were tired, but then again, so was Nebraska. I think they had had two one point game victories so maybe they are more experienced in that situation. Also I think they took advantage of our lack of big man. I did not hear Kelley's name at all in the second half, am I wrong?

This hurts us because once again we did not come through on a big game. It was big for two reasons, one it was the tourney championship game and two because it was a big named team, Nebraska--even though they are not a good team. SMU will not make it anywhere until we start winning the big games, like Tennessee, Tulsa, tourney championship games, and the WAC tourney. Coming close or competing does not cut it. We need to step it up. OU will be our next chance and if we have any hope of being big time this year, that is our last one in my opinion.

Once again we killed ourselves in this game and it was the team and coaching. In tournaments you MUST have great substituting. Where was Kelley, Voc, Niemi, or Lowe? I heard no one's names. Dement gets caught up in the game and forgets and I think it was the fatigue that lead to the big mistakes. We missed free throws, AGAIN! We committed stupid fouls, and we turned the ball over, AGAIN! Has nothing changed since the Tulsa game last year when we turned the ball over and MISSED FREE THROWS!!!!!!!!!?????????????????????

Comon SMU, I am not trying to give up or turn my back on the team, it is just the same things that hurt and destroy us in EVERY important game. Beating average teams like Tulane and mediocre WAC teams will get us no where, just look at our past history over the last several years.

I am calling for SMU to get it together and win the next tourney by beating OU. That will get people's eye back on us and that will be the point in the season where we tear up the NCAA and go to the NCAA Tournament!

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2000!
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby Bballer » Sat Dec 23, 2000 2:00 am

And here are some pictures of the VCU and Nebraska games that I found from the AP...

------------------
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2000!

[This message has been edited by Bballer (edited 12-22-2000).]
Ponies to the NCAA Tourney in 2002!
Bballer
Junior Varsity

Postby ClassOf81 » Sat Dec 23, 2000 9:14 pm

Tough loss in the tropics, fellas! Keep up the hard work. You've had your time in the sun, and you've lost your last game of the regular season. Come back to Dallas, get in the gym and the weight room and the training room. Take care of your bodies -- you have a long season ahead of you. Fight hard, play with pain, fight even harder, and make your school and the community proud of you. Which we already are.
ClassOf81
Heisman

Return to Basketball