PonyFans.comBoard IndexAround the HilltopFootballRecruitingBasketballOther Sports

2011 BBVA Compass Bowl ticket sales

This is the forum for talk about SMU Football

Moderators: PonyPride, SmooPower

Re: 2011 BBVA Compass Bowl ticket sales

Postby mustangxc » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:21 pm

I have to side with Stallion on the issue of bowl tickets. It is the biggest game of the season. While I don't expect us to sell as many tickets as TCU has sold, 526 tickets at this point in time is pretty pathetic. Don't we have more than 500 posters on pony fans? I would think that on average most people buy at least 2 tickets considering there are singles and families. There is no reason we shouldn't have sold at least 1,000 tickets by the end of the first week. While I agree that we cannot expect the casual fans to have interest in going to Birmingham for this game, I do expect the passionate fans to go. All the fans that were irate at June Jones really do need to step up and go to the bowl game, myself included.
mustangxc
PonyFans.com Super Legend

Postby redpony » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:28 pm

ponyinNC wrote:Ha me neither. Waited since 1980, but could be worse...I could be a cubs fan!!!

Cubbies = Rice in football :lol:

GO PONIES!!!
redpony

Postby ponyinNC » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:30 pm

wow, 526?? I would have thought at least that many students would go.

I will be there. And if I look around and see nothing but older smu fans, I will have given up on our students ever going to games. This is an easy bowl to attend, against a big time BCS team. People complained about going to Hawaii. They complained about staying in Dallas. People complained about playing Nevada and Army.

There are no excuses this time. If I don't see any students at the bowl game, I think we will be limited forever to home crowds of 18k, with half leaving before the 3rd quarter.

No excuses. Hell, if you are a current student, I will buy your ticket if you convince 3 friends to come with you. Limited to a few folks, but I bet any pf.com poster would help out with this as well.
ponyinNC
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Stallion » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:06 pm

I thought this was interesting-Big East Bowl ticket sales-reportedly Pitt has sold 2100-rest of Big East doing better though. Pitt fans probably get a little break-2 years in a row in Birmingham plus 5 Coaches in 2 years

http://ncaabbs.com/showthread.php?tid=542979
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

Postby smucarolina » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:17 pm

...SMU had more fans in 1936.

"The game was the first sellout for the Rose Bowl Game with all 84,784 seats filled with a large portion of fans from Texas to watch their Mustangs play. According to the Pasadena Tournament of Roses, there was a request for additional 200,000 tickets."

How far the mighty have fallen...
Pony Up!
smucarolina
Scout Team

Postby skyscraper » Wed Dec 21, 2011 10:23 pm

Surprised Pitt sold that many considering they're in Birmingham back to back years.
skyscraper

Postby GiddyUp » Wed Dec 21, 2011 11:35 pm

way to go SMU, Big East we are ready :roll: <ugh>
GiddyUp

2011 BBVA Compass Bowl ticket sales

Postby Dutch » Thu Dec 22, 2011 6:38 am

smucarolina wrote:...SMU had more fans in 1936.

"The game was the first sellout for the Rose Bowl Game with all 84,784 seats filled with a large portion of fans from Texas to watch their Mustangs play. According to the Pasadena Tournament of Roses, there was a request for additional 200,000 tickets."

How far the mighty have fallen...

Yeah. Fair comparison. There were 5 bowls then. And not everyone even had a TV. Heck. Even a radio.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby huskerpony » Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:55 am

Stallion wrote:I thought this was interesting-Big East Bowl ticket sales-reportedly Pitt has sold 2100-rest of Big East doing better though. Pitt fans probably get a little break-2 years in a row in Birmingham plus 5 Coaches in 2 years

West Virginia still has to sell 10,000 to the Orange Bowl. Yes, I know the allotment is bigger, but it is the Orange Bowl. Ticket sales are down across the board this year. Airfare is way up, and the economy is still down. But the biggest reason is that you can get a cheaper ticket if you don't buy it from the university. WVU fans can get a ticket to the Orange Bowl for $19 on stubhub right now. Why would they pay $99 to go through the university and get worse seats?
huskerpony
Hall of Famer

Postby Dutch » Thu Dec 22, 2011 12:38 pm

huskerpony wrote:
Stallion wrote:I thought this was interesting-Big East Bowl ticket sales-reportedly Pitt has sold 2100-rest of Big East doing better though. Pitt fans probably get a little break-2 years in a row in Birmingham plus 5 Coaches in 2 years

West Virginia still has to sell 10,000 to the Orange Bowl. Yes, I know the allotment is bigger, but it is the Orange Bowl. Ticket sales are down across the board this year. Airfare is way up, and the economy is still down. But the biggest reason is that you can get a cheaper ticket if you don't buy it from the university. WVU fans can get a ticket to the Orange Bowl for $19 on stubhub right now. Why would they pay $99 to go through the university and get worse seats?

same reason we do. support the cause.
Ok this is getting ridiculous...I agree with Dutch on THIS ONE POST by him totally
Dutch
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby wwoodard » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:03 am

Not sure if the SMU ticket count is accurate, but when you purchase SMU tickets on smumustangs.com, the seat number given in your online shopping cart says: Section GENADM(ission) 1-00XXX. So maybe "XXX" (e.g. 1-00501) represents TOTAL ticket count, maybe it only represents online sales (i.e. no phone purchases, no box office sales), or maybe something else. However, the number does increment each day. I think SMU handles most away games this way; sale online tickets with a generic seat number (section is usually pre-determined), then you find out your actual row and seat number when the tix come in the mail.
wwoodard

Postby soccermom » Thu Dec 29, 2011 10:27 am

I checked on stub hub to see how many tkts for our bowl and they don't have many to sell. They still had over 2,000 for the ticket city bowl.
soccermom
PonyFans.com Legend

Postby Kynd Tulsa Phan » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:36 am

526 seems about right.

I love SMU
Trey was using the powers of Gamehendge to allow the show to continue, to give the band the strength it needed to help break through this barrier
Kynd Tulsa Phan
All-American

Postby smupony94 » Thu Dec 29, 2011 11:39 am

soccermom wrote:I checked on stub hub to see how many tkts for our bowl and they don't have many to sell. They still had over 2,000 for the ticket city bowl.

Ticket brokers didn't buy up tickets as they knew they could not sell them for more than face value and might have to dump them for less.
smupony94

Postby Stallion » Thu Dec 29, 2011 2:13 pm

So I guess this may answer the great debate between Hawaii Bowl and your average plane hop 3rd rate mainland bowl because I think we sold more to Hawaii than 526 if true. I think it just might be best for SMU to play the rest of their bowl games in Dallas because we can't travel anywhere else. Mmm and there were so many claiming injustice in going to Hawaii versus a Memphis Bowl or similiar driveable mainland bowl. I'd go to either. Next year when the debate comes up I'll vote-given the option-I say we go to either TicketCity against Big 10 or Hawaii Bowl.
"With a quarter of a tank of gas, we can get everything we need right here in DFW." -SMU Head Coach Chad Morris

When momentum starts rolling downhill in recruiting-WATCH OUT.
Stallion

PreviousNext

Return to Football